2023 Teacher of Merit Award
Florida History Day annually honors an educator with the Teacher of Merit Award for creative history teaching within and outside the classroom. To be eligible, a teacher must be a participant in the Florida History Day program with at least three years of experience. The individual selected will receive a $500 prize, sponsored by Florida Council for History Education (FLCHE).
1. Development and use of creative teaching methods that interest students in history and help them to make exciting discoveries about the past.
- active learning projects within and outside the classroom, such as mock debates between historical characters or oral history projects within the community;
- innovative use of primary historical source material in the classroom;
- use of communication technology in history research and classroom learning;
- practice of teaching methods that link history to students' broader interests—for example, through interdisciplinary approaches to history topics or the development of projects that link history to current events and debates; and,
- the use of teaching methods that build a range of skills in students as they study history.
2. Exemplary commitment to helping students develop their interest in history and recognizing their achievements.
- exemplary support and guidance for students working on History Day projects;
- helping students showcase their history projects within the community and/or publish their material;
- overall commitment to the intellectual development of individual students; and,
- encouragement of students to use their understanding of history to become engaged, informed citizens in their community and beyond.
Interested teachers should submit an application form, resume, and narrative about how they meet the evaluation criteria. They also must submit three letters of support, written by a student, parent, colleague, or administrator.
Applications must be mailed or emailed to the FHD state coordinator by March 29, 2023.
Download the Teacher of Merit Award Criteria and Application ( Word, 328 KB)
Mail applications to:
Florida History Day Coordinator
Museum of Florida History
500 S. Bronough St.
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
Email applications to: